So today started pretty well. We did our normal routine stuff. Got up, made beds, got juice and COFFEE! Got a load of laundry in the wash, checked email…since it is spring break…we didn’t have to rush to get to school, but we did have a little guy coming over for the day so we were watching for him. Dax is Max’s little friend (isn’t it cute, Max and Dax…I’m sure their Sunday School and soon-to-be pre-school teachers LOVE the rhyming names) and Dax is also the son of my good friend Marci over at Finding Joy in the Journey…anyway…Marci is out-of-town spending time with her very ill father so we were planning to have Dax the rest of the week while his Daddy was at work. No big deal…the boys play great together and we love having Dax over. Everyone was playing so nice…but I had to run a few errands so we piled in the van to head to the post office. When we got back the kiddos played outside for a little bit, until we got pretty chilly and we came in to warm up. This is when the day started going down hill.
Max wasn’t really acting like himself and he has had this “cold” thing for about a week now. I felt his head and he seemed warm…I went the got the thermometer and checked his temp 100.8….not big deal except that my kid NEVER gets a fever. I honestly think he has only had one other fever…and it was low grade too. Anyway, I remembered last night he said that his ear hurt….OH YEAH…you know where I’m going with this don’t you. So, I called the Dr. (of course, he’s not in today, so I got the nurse practitioner) they could get me in @ 11:45 (that was in 15 minutes)….call my friend Pinky to see if I could bring Dax to her…we dropped him off there, got to the Dr…..DOUBLE EAR INFECTION…poor guy…I’m feeling bad, cause I probably should have taken him last week…anyway, we go to CVS to get drugs, go back to Pinky’s house to get Dax and then take everyone back to my house hoping that Max and Dax would both rest.
Driving down our street, Max pukes all over the car….not just 1 time, but 4 times. I need to remind you that I don’t do puke. It totally makes me want to puke…as I’m striping Max’s clothes off I’m calling Pinky back and begging her for help with Dax. I didn’t want Dax getting something from Max (are you staying with me, I know the name thing is getting confusing) so she drove over and picked Dax up and is keeping him the rest of the day. I know what you are thinking, so its a little puke…this is my motherly duty…deal with it. Then….as I’m trying to get the puke cleaned off Max and get him into some P.J.’s, the phone rings. Normally I would just let it ring, but I noticed on caller id it said CVS. I picked it up and they told me that they had given me the wrong medicine and that I needed to bring it back. WHAT? I was SO mad. I know it wasn’t the lady on the phones fault, but I totally hung up on her…well, I said I would be back sometime and hung up…my boy was cold for goodness sake. It just seemed like everything that happened in that 2 hour period was bad. But that is when you learn life lessons, right?!
I was totally trying to stay positive, even thought I felt like crying….I felt as though I was letting Marci down for not being able to take care of Dax, and I was feeling like a horrible mother for not getting my baby to the doctor sooner and even worse for letting him play outside this morning in the wind. I was just feeling like a failure, but I remembered a devotion from the other day that reads,
“It is not wrong to need help and ask for it. However, it is wrong to need help and be too proud to ask for it.”
For some reason that popped into my head…I had already called on Pinky to help with Dax and then I called my wonderful father-in-law…who just happens to live next door, and bless his heart, he ran the medicine back up to CVS for me, got the right stuff, brought over some Sprite for Max, and cleaned out the puke in the car seat too. WOW! Then my another girlfriend called and came and took Maggie to play at her house, so the house would be quite and Max could rest.
I am crying right now, just writing this and thinking about how blessed I am and how so many people, people I know and lots that I don’t know, don’t have family or friends close to them to call on crazy days like today. I am so blessed with the support of family and friends. So a big THANKS to all of you who helped me out today! Oh and Pinky, I owe you big time…need a new little something pink?!
Anyway, Max is sleeping now and has a dose of antibiotics in him…Maggie is off playing with friends and I am just feeling very blessed to have such great people in my life.
5 comments:
So, here I am working on some things I really don't want to be working on and decided to go read a blog or two just to break my mind from things I would rather not be dwelling on and I wonder in here...
I had to laugh because several people have asked where my kids are today, and well, I guess I really didn't know! God bless the internet that I can get an update from 5 hours away without a phone call!
I sure hope Max feels better soon! I feel so blessed knowing I could send half my family home and know they would somehow be ok because I have the best friends in the world.
Don't worry, it'll all be ok, and you didn't let me down at all, I'm blessed to have you!
Oh my. That is a bad day. And after you buy something pink for Donna, you need to get a little something for Don too! What a Grandpa!
Hope Max feels better really soon.
Just remember that tomorrow will be better and good friends are a life saver. Hope Max feels better.
Sarah
My wife and I are so very lucky to have a bunch of friends like you guys. (I know you will all stop here eventually) This week would have been incredibly stressful if you hadn't been here to help. It is so great to know that there are so many people willing to help when you need them. It is sometimes very difficult to live by the words from Traci's devotion. So, a HUGE thank you to those that have helped and also those that have been willing but didn't get the call. (You still might.) It was an immense relief to know that the children would be taken care of, even if your own children puke all over the van, while I am at work. Marci and I are incredibly blessed to have people like you in our lives. We owe you.
Just wanted to say.....Crystal Waters in the Sullivan van = GOOD TIMES!
Post a Comment