So the first few days of first grade went off without a hitch. Maggie did great! She said she had a lot of fun. She also commented on how long the day was. It's a HUGE adjustment going from 2 1/2 hours of Kindergarten to 6 hours of first grade. I knew it was going to take so time to adjust, but seeing how well she did the first few days, got me really hopeful.
Yesterday, it all kicked in. She started to cry as she was getting into the carpool car. She made it to school, but they ended up calling me about 10:45 to talk to her. She was crying so hard that I couldn't even understand her. I ended up going to the school to try to calm her down.
She just wants to be with me. And it totally breaks my heart!
Her teacher has been fantastic and is willing to do whatever it takes to help Maggie. I took a family picture in last night at "Meet the Teacher" and placed it in her pencil box....hopefully that will help.
We also made a deal that if she can make it through today and tomorrow without any tears, I will come eat lunch with her on Friday!
I know that it's just going to take time....it's a huge adjustment, but my heart is aching and I wish there was something I could do to help her. She's my baby and sitting back and watching her go through this is hurting me too!
I got out my favorite little book, have I told you about this book lately?!? (hehe!)
Here's what it said:
~~Courage~~
You never know where courage will pop up in your life, because you never know what you'll face that will require it. You can be sure, though, that God will give you courage when you need it. God is both your protector and your strength. So be confident that whatever you face, you do not face it alone. You face today with resources both from your own soul and the Spirit that dwells within you!
Lord, you are my shield, my wonderful God who gives me courage.
Psalm 3:3
As Joy would say, "This too shall pass!"
(oh, how I miss the comfort she could provide me with!)
Please keep my sweet girl in your thoughts as we try to get through these next few weeks.
8 comments:
Wow! poor little Maggie. Sam is so much more emotional lately too. Its a hard adjustment. And, a lot of work. Hang in there it does get better.
I can totally relate to Maggie. When we moved to Ohio from Illinois, I was in the FIFTH grade and the school had to call my Mom to come get me because I was so sad and lonely.
I think it is a testament what a good job you have done in making her feel safe and loved inside the perimeters of her own home and with her own family...as it should be.
A reward system is about all you have to work with ... something for her to look forward to until the pangs of wanting to be with you are replaced with fun times on the playground.
Hugs
oh the morning we've had around here too! before school started my boys had a time when they were suppose to be in bed, but had a pow wow together and wrote down all the things that they missed about oregon and ways they were sad. then they brought it to us in tears. now how do you deal with THAT? ugg. we took the list, put it in an envelope and decided we will open it back up in a couple months and talk about it...see how things got b.e.t.t.e.r.
change is hard...especially when we have to struggle with it alone for a time. so hang in there sweet lady!! i'll pray for your cutie patootie and i am going to read this quote you listed to my boy. we all need to hear that today! ☺
I'm praying for you and your sweet girl! I am certain that this is just a tiny bump in the road......call me whenever you need to talk!
Oh my, how sad this post made me. I totally feel for both of you and I hope it gets a little better every day. I am so glad to read how understanding her teacher and the school have been. I guess the answer is baby steps and taking one day at a time. Sometimes I need to do that myself and I'm a "big girl!" And, if Max needs a place to hang on Friday when you are at lunch he is welcome here. We'd love to have him!
You totally did the right thing! I was going to suggest a picture and then that was in your next sentence. The Friday lunch thing is very good, you might need to keep that up, but it is so worth it. It does get better - believe me I have both ends of it. Nice to know that the teacher is working with you! Hang in there - I'll say a prayer!
We love you mags and know it's not easy to deal with so much change. Hang in there and know that we are your biggest fans! Trac, you are such an awesome momma! Hugs and Kisses....Janelle
So sad for you and Maggie...it will get better. I'm sure she is just really tired right now too. I remember with Max last year in full time school that it was such a struggle to keep him awake on the ride home and through dinner time. She will begin to love it once she gets into the routine and makes some really good friends. That was the turning point for Max. He found a best friend and then he always wanted to be at school! Good luck and keep praying.
Post a Comment