Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Roller Coaster

What a day! I totally thought I was in the clear since I felt pretty good yesterday. I didn't feel too bad when I woke up, but as I started doing the morning routine, the headache kicked in and then got worse, and worse. I finally called my parents about 9:30ish to see if they could come over and help me with Max. (The poor boy has had pee-poop for the last 2 days and I'm sure that didn't help me with bending over all the time to wipe his little behind!) They came over and helped with him and picked Maggie up from school. I called the nurse from the neurologist office and from the symptoms I was having, she was pretty sure I had a spinal headache and that I would need to go back to the ER for a blood patch. I tried to lay down for a while to see if the headache got any better, but it only got worse. Finally about 2:30 ish, Andy and I were on the road again heading to the ER. When we got there and got checked-in we were told to wait in the waiting room...when we walked in, it was like an episode of the television show. The entire waiting room was packed...crazy packed. After sitting there for an hour, I called the nurse back at the neurologist office and asked if I could just wait this out. She said I could, and so Andy and I walked out of the place as fast as we could and got home.

Andy stopped and got me a Mega Chill (the biggest cup of Dr. Pepper I've ever seen, and remember I don't do dark soda) and he is making me drink every drop. Apparently, rest and caffeine help a spinal headache. It seems to be working. I have strict instructions from Andy and my friends to do nothing...and that is soo hard for me. So instead, I'm typing on the laptop, writing in my journal, and making lots of lists. The nurse is going to call in the morning to check on me (she said these headaches can last 1-3 days, sometimes even longer!) I think I have places/rides for my little people lined up for tomorrow, so I'm going to just take it easy and watch from afar as the dirt slowing takes over my house.

It's been a roller coaster today. A ride in which I want no one else to be on. A ride that I know is suppose to take me somewhere. A ride I wish was just fast and not so loopy!

10 comments:

Dan N. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan N. said...

I once had a migraine that lasted 3 days, so I certainly sympathize. I hope the caffeine did the trick for you.
Hang in there.

Dan Newcomb

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

I gotta say, I don't see the problem here! I'd love ANY excuse to drink a big 'ol Dr. Pepper. That beats some lousy Tylenol any day!

You know I'm joking....call me ANYTIME for ANYTHING. Love to you.

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

Sounds like a fun day! I'll check in with you in the morning to see how Mr. Max is. If he needs a chaufer to school I would be glad to come get him. I sure hope tomorrow brings some relief!

Mari said...

I'm so sorry you are dealing with that headache. I'll ad it to my prayer list.

Liz said...

I hope today is a better day. We will just keep the prayers coming your way. If I lived closer and would be there to clean the dirt for you so you wouldn't have to worry about that. At least the kids are taken care of, now just take care of yourself and don't over do it.

Anonymous said...

Just remember that I am always available for giving rides or watching kiddos. Maggie dog is still stuck in her kennell, so she wouldn't be able to scare your Maggie if you need the kids out of the house for awhile....seriously....please know you can call anytime.

Anonymous said...

I had migranes after Amanda was born (could have been some indication of what was ahead for us!!) and I used Excedrin migraine. I know your head ache is different but Excedrin migraine and tension head ache medicine works wonders! I've heard the same thing about drinking pop with caffeine. It actually does help. I've got my mother-in-law here with me so if you need anyone to take the kids somewhere I can actually do it. She's here until we get Molly back on her feet or she's minus a catheter or drain. :)
I find that I am a grump when I have a bad headache so we'll pray for relief. Hang in there!

Colored With Memories said...

oh man...that sounds so rough. glad to know you have some help w/the kiddos...

when i used to get migraines i would go lay in the cold bathtub (w/o water)...it was the most quiet and darkest room in the house.

those were miserable days...but i didn't have kids to contend with!

jade had puddle diapers all last week...no fun. hope max is better soon!

Growin' With It said...

i hate hearing about things like this, where there is so much on a person's heart and mind and then the physical crud kicks in. i am praying for you traci. and also praying God will help you get a break!!