Wednesday, January 7, 2009

WFMW - family calendar


At this time of year, a lot of people get a new year calendar, start filling in the dates of family and friends birthdays, doctor appointments, school/church functions, etc. It's just a part of the new year.

However, I have found a new solution that works for me. Being that this was the first year to have a child in school, I bought a school-year calendar. It's the "At-A-Glance" Collegiate Planner #70-CP06 to be exact. I LOVE it. It runs from July 08/July 09. I was able to put all the school year in one calendar. Also, my main circle at church also runs on a school-year calendar due to the fact we are mostly moms. Having this calendar also made it easy to get all the church dates in. This calendar isn't a small one where it would fit nicely in your purse,(plus it might get bent, heaven forbid.) And it isn't pretty or super cute, but I love how it shows the entire month...I need to see it all! It is spiral bound and has a rather big square for each date with lines. (the lined version is a must for me...it keeps it neat and I'm all about that!) However it is pretty thin, so it fits well in my bag when I head off the church or other activities. It seems to me that with all the happenings going on after the holidays and the first few days/weeks of the new year, we don't need another thing added to our list of "things-to-do" and that July would be an easier time to try and fill out a new calendar too. I can leisurely sit outside while the kids play and drink some lemonade, all while filling out my new calendar. Oh, that sounds so nice right now.

One more helpful hint. I have found that if I use a different colored highlighter for each person's events it makes it much easier to scan quickly.

So if you are a mom with school-aged kids, this might work for you and if you still have wee ones and not doing the school thing yet...keep this in mind when you do. Check out all the other helpful ideas at Rocks in my Dryer! Happy Wednesday!

4 comments:

Colored With Memories said...

i'll have to keep this in mind for when we get to that age & stage...not too far off.

i too like your idea of a different color for each person's events and do that now (with different colored pens) for the few events we have going on now.

great tips!

Mama2hre said...

My family planner is July-July and I LOVE it!

Missy said...

Oh, MaggieMom, I am a google calendar ADDICT.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I like the idea of having a planner small enough to fit in my purse. :)