I started thinking the other day about when the kids were younger...like babies and toddlers and all that I got accomplished throughout my day. I would impressively get a lot of stuff done. I remember that I would get the entire house picked up (I'm not a big fan of clutter, just in case you didn't already know that) and then I would "clean" one room each day. For example, after I got everything back in it's place I would tackle the living room. I would dust, wipe the baseboards, vacuum, and whatever else needed to be done in that room. The next day I would go to the next room, and so on. It totally worked for me. I felt like I was accomplishing something. And even though, it wasn't a lot...doing it a little at a time worked for me.
Then along came something that took me away from this routine. Do you know what it is? I'm sure you do! This darn computer.....blogging, reading blogs, and now facebook! I can remember back when I only checked email once maybe twice a day. And now, well, I won't even begin to tell you now much I'm on the stupid thing...it's not a pretty picture at all. It totally consumes me. For some reason, I need to know how my bloggy friends are and what's going on in their lives. I was talking to Andy about this the other night and he kindly informed that he can put a block on the computer, so that I only have access to the Internet at certain times...uh, thanks hun for trying to fix my problem, but that's not the answer.
So I'm asking all of you....how do you not let the darn computer take over your life? How do you keep up with everything else and still find time to blog, read blogs and facebook? I would love to hear any good tips or helpful hints. I feel like my "job" is on the line here....and I need an intervention!
7 comments:
you're suppose to wipe your baseboards? ☺ i've cut down my blog list to read. that helped me a bunch. i have a list i still love, but read them when i have "time". it helps having a clock next to the computer so you can see the time going by and make a goal. pff, what advice am i trying to give here...my house is still frantically picked up 1/2 hour before hubby comes home!☺
Hi Traci! I have recently started a new plan and it is working really well for me so far...
I listed all the jobs that need to be done on a weekly basis (like toilets, vacuuming, scrubbing sinks, etc) and made a list of jobs that need to be done on a monthly basis (like the baseboards). I divided the weekly chores up so that each day of the week has two or three chores. It is so much easier to do one single chore throughout the entire house because you just go to each room with the same supplies!!! I wait until after the kids go to bed and I pick up the clutter, load the dishwasher, and do my chores for that day. It usually all takes only an hour or less each night and I go to bed feeling like I accomplished something and I wake up to no clutter! It also works well because I gave myself the quick/easy chores for the busy nights of the week (like cleaning the microwave on dance class nights). Two days a week, for me it is Friday and Sunday, one of my daily chores is to do a monthly chore. Also, I leave the chart on the fridge and sometimes my husband will do a chore without my having to ask!!! Yay! Just my two cents...
Hey there! I find some days I am on the computer more than others. My secret, on the days I have a lot to do in the house/or out of the house for that matter, I make a list on a sticky note and put it right in the middle of the counter. At the bottom of the list is computer time. As I complete things on the list, I mark through them and I am so excited to get to the computer time at the bottom. As I get closer to the bottom, the quicker I find I accomplish things. I also find that if I give myself a specific amount of time for the computer before the bus comes home, say 30 minutes, I get the things done on the computer I must complete then read the blogs for the remainder of my time. Just a couple ideas that work for me!
Hey Traci,
I use my PDA to list everything that I should do for the week. After I complete a set number of tasks for the day (I divide the number of tasks by the number of days I feel like working this week), I feel like the rest of the day is mine to play guilt free!
Good luck. Spring will be here soon and we can just sit outside and not worry about the mess inside!
we have a similar task system set up like amber mentioned.
i don't have an answer about how to get my behind off the computer. it is bad...
i'll keep checking back to see if any of your readers have the answer!
It can be a time stealer, can't it!! Here's how I try to manage my time at the computer. First, I keep a list beside the computer of the things I need to look up, research or comparison shop. This helps me limit "wandering." When I sit down, I check FB first, then do bill pay, and whatever is on my list. I pick a couple blogs to read, depending on how much time I've already been on. Once you start FB, it feels like you have to "check-in" every day, but this is not true!! Once in awhile, I tell myself that life will go on, even if I don't look at FB today, and resist! Traci, I don't know anyone as organized and self-disciplined as you! You will be okay!! Just schedule your time like you do the rest of your projects.
Thanks guys...I loved all of your solutions...I really like the making a list and putting the computer time at the end (I'm all about lists) and I also love the idea of writing down the sites I need to visit, cutting down my blog reading list, and Amber's chore chart idea! I could even give myself gold stars with the prize being a trip to TJMaxx. Now that would be motivation!
Thanks for all your help my friends!
Post a Comment