Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Lord’s Prayer

Since my challenge at church on Sunday with keeping Max in the service, I’ve been thinking about teaching him the Lord’s Prayer. It might be a crazy thought, but I think he can do it. You should see the boy belt out the Doxology; he makes everyone around us smile. Seeing the joy in his face as he sings is AWESOME. Only I know the true reason for his excitement…..he gets to have his sucker when we are done!

Here is a little background story:

Last year for Father’s Day, I thought a wonderful gift for Andy would be for Maggie to recite the Lord’s Prayer. Of course I didn’t think of this brilliant idea until about 2 weeks before the big day…so, I would sneak into Maggie’s room after Andy did the bedtime routine and I would break the prayer into sections and we would say it together. After about 5 times of us saying it together, she knew the entire prayer! Her mind is AMAZING! We practiced every night and I couldn’t wait for the day to come. Daddy was going to be so surprised! The day arrived and I could barely hold in my excitement….we all were dressed and ready to go to church and I asked her to tell Daddy her surprise. She got all nervous, just stood there giggling and would not say any part of the prayer. My dream was crushed! For several weeks later, she still wouldn’t say it. She would only do it in her room with me at night in the dark. One night I asked Andy to listen from the hall; he heard the entire prayer and really couldn’t believe that she could say it all. It wasn’t how I had planned it in my head, but it all worked out okay.

So, since Andy has been gone this week, the kids and I have been doing our bedtime prayers together. (Usually, Andy does one kid and I do the other) We have been saying our usual prayers, but then Maggie and I have been saying the Lord’s Prayer together when we are done. Max seems eager to learn what we are saying, but for right now just looks at us like we are speaking in a foreign language to him. I’ll keep you posted on how he does with this, as well as sitting in church.

No comments: