Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Mom likes to read too!

I've never been much of a reader. It's a sad thing, I know...but I struggled with reading as a kid and I never really found any enjoyment in it.

However, over the past several years, I've learned to really love to read. I also realize how important it is for my kids to love to read...so we've been working hard at making reading fun and not a chore. I want them to love it now and not later like me.

I don't get much time during the day to read, but let me just tell you. As soon as the kids are in bed...I head to bed myself, just to have a couple hours of peace and quite, relaxing and reading.

The thing is...a book has to suck me in from the beginning. If it drags on at all...I never really get into it. Needless to say, the Twilight series sucked me in and so has this new series I'm reading right now.

(Obviously, the two different series are not even close in story line...just wanted to make sure you knew that!)

The Redemption Series by Karen Kingsbury and Gary Smalley is wonderful. I can't put them down. There are 5 books in this series and they are very quick reads. If you haven't read them...I totally recommend that you do. You can check them out here! You might want to check with your church library....they might already have this series and then you wouldn't have to buy them.

If you've already read them, I'd love to know your thoughts! So let me know!

4 comments:

Growin' With It said...

we made a stop at the library last night and i let out a sigh. it's been a long time since i've soaked up a good book and of course as i waltz past the new release section i had every excuse in the book as to why i wasn't stopping. you, know "brilliant" excuses like all the tv shows on my dvr i need to catch up on! oh brother. must.change.this!!!

The Shoes said...

That is sooo funny! I am not much of a reader, but started reading the Firstborn series just after Christmas (the series after Redemption...didn't know they were all connected!). I read those 5 books in no time and am on the 4th book of the Sunrise Series! They are so good. I'll have to go back and start over with the Redemption series. Luckily there are several copies at the library! You just feel a part of the family!

Mari said...

I love Karen Kingsbury! The Firstborn series is my favorite, followed closely by the Redemption series.
I love the twilight books too!

Liz said...

It's soooo crazy how much alike we are. I always struggled with reading (especially comprehension) as a child. I remember having to go to summer school after 1st grade. I have only started really reading in the past couple of years and have really enjoyed it. I LOVED the Twilight series and a few other books along the way. I'll have to check out the Redemption series. Have you read "The Shack?" It was VERY GOOD. Highly recommend it. OK, enough rambling. Have a great night.