Thursday, May 21, 2009

Star Wars and Parenting!

A while back when we were moving Andy's parents into the house next door to us, we found a very special part of Andy's childhood. A Star Wars pillow case that I think he would have slept with for a few days if I wasn't sharing a bed with him.

We brought the pillow case home and stuck it in a drawer. A few days ago we found it again in that same drawer, and pulled it out. With both our kids really into Star Wars, it has been challenging to come up with a system that works for sharing this one-very-loved-pillow case. It has caused a few problems when it comes to who gets to use it. Each night we have been trying to switch between kids, but there have been a few "special occasions." Obviously, Maggie was able to have it on her birthday, and Max got it the other night (which it was two nights in a row), because he was so brave at his doctor appointment. So the kids have started their own "rules" as to who gets the pillow case.

The kids are now competing over who does the most chores or who is the best listener. It's nice to see them figuring it out on their own. Mature Maggie was even the one to suggest that Max have it the other night because his ear hurt. She's so thoughtful!

Now I know that the novelty will wear off in the next day or so, and it won't be as exciting, so I'm just enjoying all the helping hands, good listening ears and polite kids while I can.

I never guessed that I would be thanking the makers of Star Wars for helping me as a parent. Kinda weird!

8 comments:

Jamie said...

So fun! I say use it to your advantage as long as you can.

Anonymous said...

Traci,

I fixed our A/C last night so that Tina and the girls wouldn't have to sleep in the heat 2 nights in a row. Do I get to sleep with the Star Wars pillow case??

Love, Tim

The Sullivan Sitcom said...

Tim,
I'm sure you have slept on this pillow case a time or two...do you remember it?

Jackie said...

Who woulda guessed??? And I love it that they are working it out amongst themselves - so grown up of them.

Colored With Memories said...

i hope it lasts for a long time!!

Growin' With It said...

you could really work this one girl. star wars blanket, sheets, pjs...drag it out and get all that extra help you can.

btw, LOVE it your daughter is so in to star wars!

Anonymous said...

Traci,

Yes I had the same sheets growing up and no, I do not still have them. My mommy wasn't as willing to save such a thing. I do still have all my old Star Wars toys, but those are not as comfortable to sleep with.

Love, Jedi Tim

Chewbaca said...

Aaaagghhhhhhhh!
aarrrrrrhhhhhhhrrrrrrrahhhhhh!