Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Oh boy! I need your help!

I come from a family of all girls. My grandparents have 6 granddaughters and they didn't get a grandson until they had a great-grandson. And still there are only 2 boys! Max is one of them!

So, we know a thing or two about girls, we know that they can be moody, super-sensitive, and sometimes over-the-top drama queens! We know how to shop, doing a little cooking and best of all chit-chat, that is one thing we are really good at!

The problem is that I still know nothing about boys. I was so nervous when I was pregnant with Max, and found out he was a boy. I didn't think I would know how to take care of him. In fact, after he was born and was circumcised, I didn't change his diaper until he was all healed up. I was so afraid I was going to hurt him. Andy came to my rescue, as he always does. Thanks honey!

Thus, the reason for this post. I need help and I need help from someone who knows something about boys. My little guy, the sweet, sensitive guy that he is has found a new hobby, and a not so appealing hobby, I might add.

The boy can't keep his hands out of his pants. What's up with this? I know he's only 4, but holy moly, I'm getting tired of reminding him to get his hands out of his pants. He gives me several different reasons for his actions, like "it's pointing up and I need to push it down" or "it's tickling" and the best one, "I'm just touching my underwear." None of these reasons seem to matter to me. I could understand if it was a few times a day and I understand that he might have to "adjust the goods", however, it is ALL the time for him....ALL THE TIME!

Please tell me it's a phase and that it's just something boys go through. Any advise, tips or helpful hints would be much appreciated!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! You make me laugh. Fortunately, we never went thru that stage but I know it is very common. Be thankful, I had a girlfriend whose daughter used to "ride" the armchair of the cough. She was at her wits end but it eventually passed. I truly think it's a guy thing (sorry guys). My male patient's are always touching. I just tell them, "don't worry, it's still there!" Hang in there; this too will pass-heehee

Anonymous said...

Rule #1 of blogging, always proof your messages. My comment was to read couch not cough. How do you ride a cough?

The Shoes said...

Oh Traci! As a mom of 2 boys, I actually haven't had it that bad yet. Max will do it once in awhile but as soon as I ask him what he is doing, he stops. I think it is just an unconscious thing. It will pass...One of my friends told her son that if he wanted to touch it, just go to his room so they all didn't have to see it!

Growin' With It said...

hmm, let's see, you think it ever STOPS? well that's the first lesson you've got to learn. hehehe.

i very vividly remember calling my husband at work freaking out cuz one or both of the boys were doing something "with it" and i was grossed out, shocked, mortified and worried.

all i can say is, let the dads deal with it! and enjoy having a boy...it truly is a wonderful adventure.

Unknown said...

Hi Traci,
As the mother of two boys let me tell you they are fascinated with it. I have also found myself saying take your hands out of your pants. My husband has also told me to not make a big deal out of it. It is normal and will pass.

The Sullivan Sitcom said...

Good to know Michelle, hope it will pass soon!

Jody said...

I have a 3 year old son who also likes to touch...... I just tell him we don't do that and hope that it will pass.

Anonymous said...

I think this is normal boy behavior. I was getting frustrated with my own son's handiness when he had a friend over for a playdate. When the friend was touching himself, I asked him if he needed to go to the bathroom.

No, he responded, it was just sticking to his leg.

I had to march straight into the house so he couldn't see me bend over laughing so hard.

Brittany said...

I have 2 girls and boys scare me too. Ihave no advice except I do know it's normal. I taught 3 year olds for a while and I have a 3 year old nephew and his is all of a sudden ALWAYS down his pants. I think you just keep reminding him and it'll eventually go away.

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I'm laughing...I haven't yet seen Max with his hand in his pants, and Dax has not removed his fingers from his nose long enough to move them southward. Maybe by the time one of my boys gets there you will be the expert!

Anonymous said...

Oh Traci! You are too funny. You have all that you need to raise boys! Don't be afraid. Rely on Andy! All boys go through that stage at varying degrees. Personally, I think it is best to gently (without shame, guilt, etc.) remind them to take the hand out of the pants, with minimal attention. Do not make a big deal out of it, you'll only cause stress and anxiety, which may make a connection between stress and "handling." Just a gentle reminder and I think it will soon pass. I know a great book you would love. It is written by Dr. James Dobson and I can't remember the exact title, but I think "Bringing Up Boys" might be correct. This is an excellent book. I wish it had been available when my boys were growing! I loved the tribute to and pictures of Joy. Happy New Year to you and your family!