Maggie was off school again today. The teachers had an in-service day, so we got to sleep in a little this morning and not have to rush rush rush. It was kinda nice.
Max did have school which meant that Maggie and I had the morning to ourselves. This is a very rare event. There aren't too many occasions where Maggie and I get to do something just the two of us. And we needed it.
I was trying to think of something fun we could do with our 2 1/2 hours of "girl time" and finally remembered the local ceramics shop, where you can go in and paint a piece of pottery and then come back a week later to pick up your item. The place is called Amazing Glaze (isn't that a cute name) and we had an awesome time.
We got there when it opened and we were the only ones there. Since it was our first time, I had a ton of questions. The owner was awesome and very helpful and just let us do our thing. Maggie picked out an ice cream cone and she did very well. I thought for sure I would be trying to "fix" it, but she did great. I chose a square plate. I have been wanted to get a "special" plate ever since I read Genny's post. I have been watching these plates on eBay and they are going for anywhere from $25 to $40 plus shipping. Okay, that's not really too bad, but I'm cheap and I want to find one for less than that.
I decided to make the square plate my "special plate!" I painted it a sage green color (the color the new kitchen will be) and then added some scroll designs on the corners and then in my best possible attempt, I tried to write, "You are Special Today" I think I totally messed it up. It didn't look too bad with just the scroll designs, but once I added the wording, I think it is going to be awful. I promise I will post pictures of the finished product when we get it back, but I'm trying to remember that the day wasn't about the plate. It was about spending time with Maggie. Just her and I. I'm trying to realize the the plate will still be special to the kids, that it isn't about what the plate looks like, but what it means. We will use this "special" plate on special occasions, birthdays, or just.because.you.had.a.good.day days. Oh, and there will be food covering up the wording! That just might work!
Maggie and I both agreed that we need to have more times where just her and I get together and do something. We need to make it a priority to hang out, just the girls. I want to start this now so that 10 years from now she will still ask for that time together.
Last night, when I was getting her ready for bed, she said, "Mom, I really loved the painting place today, and I really love you!" My eyes started to swell up. What a sweet girl.
More Maggie & Mommy moments to share coming soon!
2 comments:
This is a great idea. One of those places just opened right down the street from me and I was wondering how on earth I could take all the kids in there without breaking everything in sight. Duh, just do a mommy date! Might do this real real soon.
You, Maggie, the plate, the girl's day...I love it all!
Post a Comment