Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Halloween Traditions!


With Halloween just around the corner, I thought I'd share a few of the Halloween traditions we have started over the past several years.

  • Around the middle of October, we gather some goodies, print out a cute little poem (there are several online, "You've been boo'd" or email me and I'll send you mine) and a picture of a ghost. Then we drop them off at our neighbors door without them knowing it was us. A friend of mine started "booing" us when the kids were little bitty and we love getting it started for the rest of our neighbors to enjoy as well. This year was the first year that we actually let the kids to the running (they are much faster now!) and they really got into it. It's so fun to walk around on Halloween night and see all the ghosts hanging on the doors!
  • Then of course, we carve pumpkins. Andy learned years ago to cut the hole from the bottom of the pumpkin. That way the "lid" doesn't fall in and you can easily set your pumpkin over the top of your candle. That is a trick that certainly works for us! The kids always get to pick their designs and I always do an "S", we'll have to post pictures of our pumpkins later since it's still on the to-do list! I think I want to do a polka-dot one this year too!
  • The other tradition that we started when the kids were little is the "Candy Witch!" She is a nice, friendly witch who comes after we are asleep late on Halloween night. The kids get to pick a few pieces of candy they want to keep and the rest goes in a bag. The witch comes to take the candy and leaves a nice little surprise in exchange for all the loot. The candy is gone and the kids get a "treat" that won't help them get cavities (they can do that all on their own!)
I'd love to hear your fun Halloween traditions, and check out more over at WFMW!

1 comment:

Erica said...

I love the "candy witch" idea!!! We may have to start that tradition, I hate having candy around for MONTHS (I'll only let them eat 1 a day). What do you do with the candy? A Dentist back home pays kids $1 a pound for their candy and then sends the candy to troops in Iraq and Afghanastan (sp?).