Friday, December 4, 2009

We LOVE healthy - whatever week this is!

Tomorrow we are having our annual cookie walk at church. People come from all over to our sale. When you come in, you get a box to fill with all the homemade cookies and treats you want. We then weigh the box and we charge by the pound. It's an awesome way to get a variety of different cookies.

We all know that I am not a baker. In fact, I'm honestly not much of a dessert person at all. I'd choose a bag of chips over a dessert any day. Sad I know. But there are a few cookie recipes that I do like to make over the holidays. To help out with the cookie walk and my friend Lisa, who is in charge of it, I got my Kitchen Aid mixer out yesterday and started baking.

Yesterday I made a double batch of cranberry-walnut cookies and a double batch of chocolate chip cookies. Today I made pecan-shortbread cookies (yummy) and some pretzel treats. And now I can't wait to get them out of my house. My counter top is full of cookies to take to the church later today.

The holidays are a hard time for those us trying to get some weight off, heck, it's hard to just maintain a certain weight this time of the year. I've still been getting a few days a week in at the gym, but I need to do more. It seems like I can always find something else that needs to be done. But I know that the shopping, wrapping and baking will still be there for me to do when I get back from the gym.

Any body have any great-holiday-stay-fit-tips, or heck...got any good cookie recipes that you want to share? We'd take either.

Have a great weekend and stop by our cookie sale if you can! (I'm not helping am I? sorry!)

3 comments:

Wendy V. said...

I am proud to report that I actually worked out 4 days this week! I had made a promise to myself that I was going to do something active everyday until Christmas...this started last Sunday. I was doing great until I had a Christmas party last night. The only exercise I got there was moving the food from the plate to my mouth. But, I am running a 5K tomorrow, and that should make up for it. I know that I am not good at cutting out the yummy foods, so I have to make up for it by going to the gym more often. Have a great weekend and enjoy your cookie walk. Sounds fun!!!!

Aunt Pat said...

Well, every year Nicole MAKES me bake her favorite: Candy Cane Cookies They are the kind that you have to make pink dough and you have to make white dough and form them into 6" rolls and then braid them together and turn a loop at the top. Whew! They couldnt' be more work!

Crap! Why couldn't her favorite be 5-minute fudge?????? :):):)

And, yes, I WILL make them again this year because she has Chandler and Connor convinced that they are the BEST cookies ever and Christmas wouldn't be the same without them. No pressure on me, huh?

Jill Foley said...

As part of a Bible study, I gave up chocolate - it's been 6 weeks and it's amazing what I haven't eaten because of this sacrifice.

I also began training for a 1/2 marathon this week....I'm NOT a runner, but really want this challenge. I was going to wait until the beginning of 2010 to start training, but this will help me keep off the extra pounds that show up this time of year!