Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What I DON'T know....

While listening to the radio this morning, the announcers were talking about what people, or I should say, "Things women don't really know about!" I pretty much fell into every single category. I'm so pitiful.

* Directions - like in north, south, east & west. If you placed me out in the wilderness (or even the middle of my driveway) I could NOT tell you for sure what direction was what. I will admit that it would be a lot easier if I was standing in my driveway, but I wouldn't bet my life on it either. Oh, and if you ever have to give me directions, I need landmarks people, with left and right...not "turn north on highway 91, then south on blah, blah" really what I would be hearing is that, "I really don't want you to come to this thing I'm giving you these directions for..."

* Sports (what they are and the people who play them) - Okay, so yes, I know what the different sports are, but I have no idea what all the rules are and what people play what sport. And honestly, I could care less. Thank goodness my hubby isn't a big sports fan. I'd be in big trouble.

* Counties - You know when there is a storm coming and the TV people put that cute little radar picture at the bottom of the TV screen. I still to this day, don't remember which shape is our county. The kids will ask, "Is that us mom? Do we need to take cover?" Guess I better figure that one out..or we might find ourselves going north, south, east and west in a tornado.

So there you have it, I'm officially one of those women....I'd love to know what you DON'T know!

10 comments:

Mari said...

I am with you on all three of those!

Mama2hre said...

Thanks for making me laugh. Not at your post, but at myself. The only way I can tell directions is by the highway near our house! We live near an N / S interstate and a E / W by-pass. Sports are I'm ok on. I LOVE football, but I'm clueless about baseball and hockey. Our county is also easy it's at the bottom of our state and shaped exactly like a horse's hoof. A teacher in middle school pointed that little fact out! I'm so glad she did! :)

Your naive Aunt Pat said...

You are so funny -- but this will make YOU laugh.

It was 1973 and I was MARRIED with a 6 month old baby. I was watching Phil Donahue - one of the very first talk shows on TV. He was interviewing a panel of gays. I was stunned - it was a total jaw-dropper for me. I called my husband and asked if he knew there were boys who liked boys and girls who liked girls? I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall and seen his face when I asked him that one! Uh, needless to say, he said YES. And, you think there are things you didn't know??????? :):):)

Anonymous said...

1. I never leave home without my Garmin!
2. I hope to learn more about sports after we get a Wii =).
3. The beauty of living in a split level home is you already ARE taking cover! My sister calls us celler dwellers.

Stay warm today!
=) Mary

Growin' With It said...

yeah, well i wanna know if men know...
1. how to create a delicious meal out of what's left in the pantry cuz it's 2 more days til payday.

2. how to brush or style the kids hair.

and

3. the difference between black socks and blue socks!

hee hee. you are not alone sister!

Beth said...

I think this is why women create a sisterhood. To help each other out in areas where we aren't that strong.

I can figure out the direction but only on a sunny day. If there are clouds I don't know. GPS rule!

I do know sports and would be happy to give anyone a quick lesson on them. I am a faithful reader of Sports Illustrated which makes this marriage a whole lot happier. :)

If the map on the t.v. shows Peoria and Bloomington I can figure us out but without that I don't have a clue! Dark clouds, a lot of rain and wind send me to the basement.

What I don't have a clue on are the popular girly things like crafting and scrapbooking. Foreign words to me. Cricut? Those are insects that rub their legs together to make sounds if you ask me.

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I'm laughing almost as much at the other comments as the post.

I am clueless with directions too...it's all about landmarks. I'm not sure why men bother giving women directions. As for the GPS, we don't have one, but my mom's always gets us into the strangest places, so I'm not sure I'm putting my faith in those either.

I think it's a good thing to ust admit we don't know half of what there is to know and to be content with that!

Anonymous said...

I love the blog and the posts - what a hoot!

As far as directions, that is what the compass on the car is for! It tells me which way I am going. We also have a GPS. I do know which is which when on my driveway because our house faces directly west!

Sports - well I am learning. I probably know more about college than pro and I know the most about Nascar due to my 7-year old. Ask me if I really care? I will honestly answer "no"!

Counties - Most of the counties in Iowa are square or rectangle, so it is hard to know which is which. They are pretty good around here at telling us the name of the county because they all look alike, so I guess I am lucky to have a great weatherman.

Thanks again for the smiles and laughs!
Jodi R

Kristy said...

Be thankful that at the ages our kids are, they still think mom knows EVERYTHING! I dread the day that they discover differently.

Wendy V. said...

I was actually laughing out loud at your post and everyone's comments as well. I have the directions in Morton somewhat figured out because when I first moved here, I lived on EAST Jackson, and that is toward Bloomington. And, I-74 is to the North, so as long as I know how to get to Wal-Mart, it is all good!