Monday, June 29, 2009

My Girl!

Since the day she was born, Miss Maggie has had a mind of her own.

Her birth was difficult, I was educed due to border-line toxemia and she was turned the wrong way. The doctor had to go in and turn her....just as he did that, she turned right back to the way she was. I finally delivered her "face up" and the doctor labeled her a "stargazer!" She obviously wasn't really to come out.

That was the beginning of Maggie doing things on her time line.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with her doing her thing on her own time. In fact, she did a lot of the major milestones before she should have.

She was sitting up by herself at 4 months, She never really crawled, but went right to walking at 7 1/2 months/8 months. (which if I had been blogging at that time, I would have posted about it every single day....I was so excited that she was walking so early, but then I soon realized that she was everywhere I didn't want her to be...crazy kid!) She talked early and very clear from day one and potty training that girl was a breeze.

But the social aspects of my girl did not flow like the rest of her. She is shy, cautious, not very outgoing and I know all this because she is just like me. I was always the shy kid who would rather sit by myself then go and ask a friend if I could sit with them. And you know what? I'm still that way. I am a lot better than I used to be, but I want Maggie to be even better than that. I know she has to figure that all out on her own, but I want to help guide her in the right direction. The thing is, she is doing it, all this on her own, without my help, on her own time.

As I have said before, Kindergarten was a wonderful thing for my girl. It gave her confidence. It helped her to be more expressive and she is totally coming out of her shell.

Last night was the first night of VBS for us. She is in the "big kid" group now. No more preschool stuff. She had a blast. I peeked in a saw her learning a song/dance which she would have never done before. She didn't get sad when it was time to go to her class, she was brave, she was a little nervous, but she knew she was going to have fun.

I LOVE watching her grow. Actual growing is good too, but watching her grow as a person is why this motherhood job is so awesome!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Way to go, Maggie! Keep growing. You are a beautiful little girl.

Mari said...

Yay Maggie! I get that because I was like that too and so were my kids.

Anonymous said...

She did an awesome job in arts and crafts.....Carrie

Growin' With It said...

this was one of those posts i could have written myself...okay, except for the birth part, poor things...i will say how proud i am of her mom for sitting back and letting her grow & experience things for herself. it is so tempting to want to "fix" things for them so they don't feel uncomfortable. but then when would they ever know how to do it on their own.

my d-man was in vbx this time. the BIGGER kids group. what i'd give to go back to the little days. waa.