Thursday, February 23, 2012

My girl!

If you know my Maggie, you also know that she does not have an outgoing personality.  She is super shy and is pretty cautious when it comes to new things. 

This makes me sad....because I used to be her.  The super shy kid, the one who missed out because she was too scared to try. 

But, she is making great progress.  She has definitely come out of her shell and she is starting to get more comfortable with new/or different situations. 

Recently, Andy and I MADE the kids (we're so mean!) start going to kids choir at church.  They practice weekly and sing in front of the congregation once a month.  Both kids did NOT want to do it.  But we told them that this was something they had to at least try.  We told them they would have to participate from January through May and then, if they didn't want to do it after that, it was fine.  But they both had to TRY!

On the first night of practice, Max had a total meltdown.  He just didn't want any part of it.  Maggie was all calm, cool and collected until she realize that Max wasn't going to be in the same group with her.  (I guess, I should have found that out before hand).   Then she melted down too.  You really would have thought that I was cutting their arms off with a butter knife.  I was just SO horrible. 

But they both went their separate ways, and guess what, they came back with smiles on their faces.  They actually had some fun!  Who would have guessed.

So, step one went over okay.  Now for step two.  Getting my girl to get up and sing in front of the church.  I honestly thought about telling her that if she was too uncomfortable, that she didn't have to do it.  But I held back.  I'm trying to help her, not give her a way out.  Not a word was said about it, and then finally Saturday night, she kindly reminded us that we needed to be at church early so that she could find out where she needed to be.  We got her there on time and she pretty much just went and did her thing.  She got up there, did what she was supposed to do and might have even had a little fun.  She didn't smile much the first service,  but who cares, she got up there! She looked super nervous, but who cares, she got up there!

This is progress and I LOVE it. 

I was so proud! 

 (sorry the picture is blurry, it's either the camera on the phone or my shaking "nervous mom" hand....probably the latter!)

Do you see her? She's there on the far right.  Oh, and on top of singing, they were also playing the bells.  When I asked her about not smiling, she said, "Mom, I was trying to concentrate, you have to pay attention so you know where you are in the song." 

 Can't really argue with that. 

Anyway....if you're still reading, thanks I know I can sometimes ramble on, but I'm a proud mom who loves her girl very, very much!


5 comments:

Laura said...

I can VERY much relate to kids who don't want to try new things! It can be tough. But usually after mean mommy makes him try something, my guy has fun. :) Good job for sticking to your guns, Traci, and good job on trying something new and scary, Maggie!

Erin said...

I was so happy to see Maggie up there. She did a Great job! :)

Mari said...

Yay for Maggie, but yay for you too! It's hard to push your kids to do things like that sometimes, especially when you understand how hard it is for them. I was a quiet kid too and my kids were as well, so I get it. You're doing the right thing!

Beth said...

I was hoping you would make this a post. I knew that they were upset about trying choir and I was proud of you (and them) for sticking with it. It stinks having to be the bad guy sometimes. My guy thinks that he doesn't want to do choir as well and I'm thinking that we may have to do the "give it a try and see what you think." If we can't try something new in our own church, where can we try it and still feel safe, right? There aren't more supportive and happy faces watching than our church family. Good job, Maggie!

Wendy V. said...

I adore your girl! Really wish I could have had her in class. So proud of her for trying something new. She and I are a lot alike. It is tough to get out of your comfort zone. Please tell her thank you for emailing Thomas. It sure does brighten his day. The other day, he said, "Mom, I have to check my email. Maggie might have sent me an email!" So sweet!