Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Maggie's Day at the Dentist!

Today Maggie went the dentist for the first time. She has been going with me the last several times just to see what goes on there, but today was the day for her to get her teeth cleaned.

I was a little nervous about how it was going to go, she was pretty upset about going this morning. I wanted to make sure that I could concentrate on her so Max went to his best buddy Dax’s house to play this morning (thanks again Marci for keeping Max for me). I told Maggie that if she was a big girl and if there was no crying we would go and get a movie when we were done. For those of you who know my daughter, I’m sure you can understand why I had to try any thing to help her to feel comfortable and safe.

For those of you who don’t know Maggie, she has an old soul and is very reserved and likes to just sit back and watch what is going on, until she feels comfortable enough to join in. She is getting much better about jumping in the older she gets but is still very cautious. She gets very uneasy about new situations so I have to be careful how I bring them up and careful how much I talk about them. This is a girl who it took 3 nurses plus mom to hold her down to get a flu shot….just to give you an idea.

The dentist appointment was GREAT! She did an AWESOME job. She didn’t want to lie in the big dentist chair by herself, so I had her sit on my lap. She opened up wide, let the hygienist scrap, clean, floss and use the fluoride treatment. Not one single tear! She was a perfect patient. I can’t begin to tell you how proud I am. This was really a big deal. I think it was bigger for me than her! Anyway, she got to pick some goodies out of the goodie box and being the nice sister that she is, she picked out some stuff for Max too.

We went to pick up Max, who kept saying he was a big boy too, because he didn’t cry about the dog at Dax’s house. (That’s another day’s story). So off to Wal-mart we went to buy a new movie. We got Mr. Magorium Wonder Emporium. It’s a really cute movie! Check it out!

3 comments:

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

Yeah for Maggie! Max did great with the dog. He is welcome anytime, Dax loves having his buddies come over! Besides....I think I've sent my kids to you so often that I owe you days of babysitting! I like to see that you're adding music too...watch out though, it's addictive!

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

I totally agree with you about it being more traumatic for us than them. Caroline's first trip to the dentist had me really nervous & to her it was a total non-event. Go figure.

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

Oh, by the way, I LOVE that Superchick song. It's one of my new faves!